LOVE: BBQ Address Book
It is officially barbeque weather, and me and the hubby will be spending every evening this week camped on our roof terrace in NW London barbequeing the hell out of some meat! There are heaps of lovely shops around NW where you can stock up, here are some of my absolute faves to make any BBQ party go with a bang!
1) Hampstead Butcher & Providore: they do a barbeque meat box no less, filled with the delights of marinated chicken breasts, steak burgers, butterflied lamb, pork ribs and kebabs. All their meat is organic, free-range and locallly sourced, plus the chaps in the shop couldn’t be nicer and more well-informed. And they deliver. Done!
2) Melrose & Morgan, Primrose Hill: Their potato salad, picalilli and coleslaw cannot be beat, trust me. In addition, they sell lovely breads, chutneys, creamy salty butter and have a wonderful veg selection. They also do a top notch range of wines to swill down your chicken kebab and hot dogs with.
3) Fish counter, Parliament Hill Farmers’ Market: Warning, this place isn’t the cheapest, but man the choice is vast and the fish, fresh from the Dorset coast, is good. Big juicy, succulent prawns, big crates of sweet mussels and clams, yummy oysters, tasty squid, whole sardines and mackerel, and a range of other filleted fish too. The guys who work on the stall know their stuff and are always friendly and helpful, just one of the many reasons this is the one and only stall with a massive queue every Saturday morning!
4) Judith Michael Daughter:no party is complete with a bottle of champagne and something fab to drink it in and you can’t beat the vintage champagne glasses from this wonderful antiques treasure trove. Gillian Andersen-Price, who runs the store, has the most impeccable eye for spotting divine vintage delights and if you can’t find something quirky and lovely here to spice up your party then you’re not looking hard enough! I love these six vintage champage coupes, for £180 – so classic – but there’s a variety of shapes, sizes and prices in the shop, so you’re best to head on down there yourself! (Image courtesy of judithmichael.com)
5) Graham & Green: banish the Homebase generic pine blues, and add a little garden chic to your outdoor space with some of the lovely rustic offerings from this wonderful store in Primrose Hill. They’re having a sale on outdoor furniture at the moment and I say you can’t beat £55 for this cute little iron chairs and table set. Just add coloured lanterns, a glass of wine and the smoky light from the bbq, and you’re sorted.
I’ve left lots of also awesome places out – like La Fromagerie, the Natural Kitchen, The Ginger Pig (all in Marylebone), as well as heaps of other great places, like Panzers in St John’s Wood, the little fsh market just off Hampstead High Street and the amaze balls bakery in Primrose Hill (whose names escapes me right now), as well as lots of other lovely outdoor furniture and interiors shops too numerous to mention. So add your own below!